Best Practices for Alerts and Notifications
Following are best practices for optimizing alerts and notifications in the Velaro chat application.
If you are on Windows, Velaro recommends the Windows Desktop Application
The Velaro Agent Desktop Application is recommended because notification alerts are handled through the windows taskbar, rather than relying on browser notification settings and mechanisms that throttle the bandwidth of a non-active browser tabs.
The Velaro Desktop Application can be download from https://desktop.velaro.com. A link to download is also available in the Profile menu of the browser version:
Your network administrator can also install the Velaro Desktop Applications on all agents’ machines at once. Send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions.
When using the Windows Agent Desktop App: Turn off Windows “Focus Assist”
Focus Assist blocks Velaro agent desktop app alerts when it is turned on. Some Windows 10 users experienced Focus Assist turning on by default after a Windows update. To turn off Windows Focus Assist:
1. On your computer, select the Start button, then select Settings
2. Go to System > Notifications and actions. Be sure to allow notifications
3. Scroll down to Get notifications from these senders and be sure Velaro is toggled on
4. Make Velaro a Top priority notification. Put notifications you care about most at the top of action center and you'll always see new notifications at the top of action center.
While still in Settings > System > Notifications & actions , under Get notifications from these senders select the Velaro app (click it), and then under Priority of notifications in action center select Top and confirm.
5. Select Focus Assist and be sure it is off
if you ever need to temporarily turn off all notifications Focus Assist is an optional also found in the bottom right options of your Windows screen:
If you are using Velaro in a Browser*
Make sure Velaro Starts when you Login
If you log in to Velaro in a browser window and then navigate away quickly to another browser tab or another app on your computer, the Velaro console may not fully load all resources. The reason is: for browser notification alerts, audio starts when you first click inside the Velaro app or click that browser tab as active.This is because interacting with a page is how browsers allow you to provide consent to play audio coming from the active page. This is similar to how embedded audio/video files begin to play on any web page, once you bring the tab to the forefront and click on it to scroll through content.
For good measure, you should interact regularly with the browser page loaded with the Velaro console by clicking the Engagements menu again, or clicking your profile image to toggle the menu open and closed.
Velaro will prompt you if your browser notifications are off.
You may also be prompted to accept these settings. Based upon the browser, you may receive additional prompts.
If you are Using Google Chrome
1) Enable Notifications in Google Chrome
2) To confirm notifications are enabled, click on the lock icon (positioned next to the URL bar) - a window will pop up. Make
sure Notifications is set to Allow.
You can also check your notification settings in Chrome to ensure you allow desktop alerts from Velaro HERE
3) Allow Autoplay of Alerts in Chrome
A Velaro alert needs to play automatically, without an action taken by the agent.
To make sure Autoplay in Chrome is set correctly:
1. In Google Chrome, type or copy-paste the following text in the address bar:
2. Press the Enter key to jump to the required flag directly. Make sure Autoplay policy is set to “No user gesture is required”
If you are using Mozilla Firefox:
1) Enable Notifications in Mozilla Firefox
2) To confirm notifications are enabled, click on the lock icon (positioned next to the URL bar) - a window will pop up. Under
Permissions, make sure Send Notifications is set to Allowed
If you are using Edge
- Enable Notifications in Edge go to: edge://settings/content/notifications
- Make sure app.velaro.com is added to the Allow list
If you are using Safari
1) Enable Notifications in Safari
2) To confirm notifications are enabled, go to Safari > Preferences
3) Select Websites (A), then select the Notifications (B), then make sure app.velaro.com alert permission is set to Allow (C).
*Note: Many modern browsers disable live activity in background tabs to save resources. If you are using Velaro in a background tab, it may see you as offline. We recommend using a full browser window dedicated to Velaro or the desktop application for the best experience.