For chat agents using a Mac, the computer will sleep when the display goes to sleep. Mac laptops and mobile devices are designed to go to sleep during periods of inactivity, especially when the device is not plugged in.
However, when the computer is asleep, as a Velaro Agent, you will be detected as unavailable and miss chats.
There are a number of things you can do to make sure your Mac does not sleep, even if you are inactive for long periods of time.
- Plug in your device. This means your Mac will use the "Power Adapter" settings and makes sure your computer won't need to sleep or shut off due to battery power level.
- Adjust your Mac settings to turn off sleep during your chat shift.
Following are instructions to adjust your mac's energy settings so it won't sleep during your shift.
Turn off Mac sleep
- Go to: Apple Menu > System Preferences > Energy Saver
Check "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off
You will receive the following alert:
Click OK, as you will restore defaults after your chat shift
- Uncheck "Put hard disks to sleep when possible"
- Uncheck "Wake for Wi-Fi network access" (or leave checked if your Mac is on a network and remotely accessed)
- Uncheck "Enable Power Nap while plugged into a power adapter
Once you are done with your chat shift, you click "Restore Defaults" to allow your computer to sleep. Note that you can unplug your power source and the computer will sleep based on the battery settings.